Announcement : 

We have completed our lockdown exercise and all students, staff, and persons on-site are safely accounted for.  Everyone did extremely well and responded to instructions.  A notice will be going out to parents/caregivers tonight to provide some more information about our emergency lockdown procedures. I would like to personally thank you for your support while we conduct these practices.  Kind regards – Karen McMurray, Principal

Week 3 Term 4 Newsletter

Randwick Park
School Newsletter
Kia Tapu Kia mohio tahi tatous.
Growing and Learning Together

Kia Ora, Welcome to Term 4

TUESDAY 24  OCTOBER  2023        Rātū rua tekau ma wha o Whiringa-ā-nuku 

Kia Ora, Kia Orana, Sastrikal, Namaste, Talofa, Malo e lelei, Fakalofa lahi atu,
Bula Vinaka, Salam & Warm Pacific Greetings to you all

WHAT’S ON AT RPS

Wednesday 25 October
– Yr 5/6 Softball at Mountfort Park
– Rimu Team (Yr 1) trip to MOTAT

Monday 30 October – Wednesday 1 November
Pohutukawa (Yr 5/6) Camp, Carey Park Christian Camp

Wednesday 1 November
Manu Tioriori Festival at the Due Drop Events Centre, 7 – 9 pm

Thursday 2 November
Rimu (Yr 1) and Totara (Yr 2) Team Cross Country, school field

Thursday 9 November
Kowhai Team (Yr 3/4) MOTAT Trip

Friday 10 November
Kowhai Team (Yr 3/4) MOTAT Trip

Thursday 16 November
Sunny Memorial Football game

Friday 17 November
Whole School Assembly, rooms 13 & 18 hosting, 1.50 pm, all welcome

Monday 20 and Tuesday 21 November
Staff Development Days, school closed

Friday 1 December
– Alfriston College Connection Day, Yr 8 students, 9 am – 12 pm
– RPS Arts & Cultural Day, more information to come

Tuesday 19 December
Final day for 2023

GENERAL ELECTION VOTING

Thank you to all our whānau and community for voting at our Randwick Park School Hall.
What a fantastic response to voting at RPS. Our polling staff were rushed off their feet.
RPS whānau you rock! Ka pai.

VECTOR WERO WHITE WATER RAFTING – POHUTUKAWA TEAM

My heart was racing. In a blink of an eye, I was there! I was putting my wetsuit on at Vector Wero white water park. My friends and I could not contain our excitement. When we got to where we were going to start, I saw that the river crossing water was pretty shallow. It started filling up quite fast but I put all my focus on listening to the instructor’s instructions.  I was surprised when he said we had to buddy up and walk slowly across the river to the other side. I noticed the current was getting stronger and stronger. I was worried. We started walking across. I was going 1..2..3..step again and again until we reached the other side. The instructor then said groups of seven. He yelled strongest two people at the end. Unlucky for me I was one of the strongest people in my group. I was right next to these strong currents getting stronger by the second 1..2..3..step! 1..2..3.. ste- ahhhh! I felt a gush of water sweep me away. Luckily an instructor helped me get back up.  When we reached the other side, all my group could do was laugh our hearts off. We were then directed to go in our group of seven with an instructor. We were given an oar each. My heart felt like doing a loop around the earth. I hopped in the front of the raft. We started paddling. Everything was calm until I heard RACE RACE RACE!…another group was trying to race us so we did what any group would do 1..2..3.. Paddle! We were paddling as fast as our hands would allow us then we came to a stop. We went up this escalator-like thing but with water on it. In my mind, I thought a huge drop was to come on the other side! We reached the top hoping not to fall off the raft then oh it was the same! Nothing to worry about. The race struck once again. This time strong currents would hit us twisting and turning to turning and twisting then…. aaaaahhhhh splash!!.. I wiped the water out of my eyes seeing we had just dropped from a mini drop. We definitely did not see that coming, then the next words of the instructor made my jaw drop, “We’re going backwards!”,… “not for long,” I mumbled. Some way it came true, as the other group caught up to us. We hit a wall! “DROP DOWN!”  he yells. Meanwhile, my group is screaming like they’re about to die. After more turning and twisting, twisting and turning we finally made it through the rapids. I felt very accomplished and happy. It was the best day ever!
-Aiyana Narayan, Room 32

Randwick Park School tamariki have the challenge of getting 100% attendance for Term 4.  Everyone who achieves this goes in the draw to win a scooter and helmet.  At the moment we have 323 people or 48% of the school in the draw! Keep it up RPS.

MANU TIORIORI FESTIVAL
TICKETS AVAILABLE AT OUR
SCHOOL OFFICE

School Policies and Procedures

Username:      randwickpark 

password:       rpscommunity

Who reviews our policies and procedures?

All reviews are open to the board, staff, students, and the school community (parents/whānau).
Anyone can review any policy/procedure that has a review button.
Below are the topics the board will review this term. Whānau can review these topics too; they’re not exclusively for the board.

To start reviewing, click on a topic name, then click the “start your review” button.

Note that if you’d like to provide feedback on a topic that’s not listed below, you can still do so if it has a review button.

*Curriculum and Student Achievement Policy

*Student Achievement Information/Student Assessment and Achievement

*Home Learning

*Distance Learning

*Health Education

CONTACT NUMBERS FOR RPS
We have two contact numbers for our school:

• 09 2670112
  • 0800 438 777
    Please save these numbers in case our teachers and office staff need to contact families/whānau for various reasons.

YEAR 5/6 TOUCH
Last week Wednesday, our Year 5/6 Touch Teams competed in the interschool competition.

Our Year 5 team did well, finishing 2nd in their pool and placing 4th overall out of 12 teams. The Year 6 team came 11th out of 18 teams. 

LET’S GET OUR TAMARIKI TO SCHOOL

From the 9 – 13 October children signed in late 227 times, this is an average of 45 tamariki per day.  Please support our kura by ensuring your child/ren is at school before 8:40 a.m., ready for learning.

TRAVELLING?

Please try to avoid travelling during the school term.
If you do have to travel overseas during school time, please make an appointment to discuss this with Miss Dot, our
School Liaison Officer. 

SWIMSAFER PARENT RESOURCES
Please visit the link below to access parent resources on Swim Safer NZ.
https://swimsafer.org.nz/parents-resources/

IT’S SPRING! PLANTING PRODUCE AT HOME

Spring is here!
It’s a great time to get stuck in and get the garden ready as well. Veggie gardens are a great interactive way to get tamariki involved and learn about where food comes from, how to care for plants and start conversations about sustainability and conservation.

No Space? No Problem!
You don’t need a big space to be able to garden. Fruit and vegetables can easily be grown in pots or containers, on a balcony or windowsill, or even inside! Here are a few easy-to-grow options for those who are short on space.

1. Potatoes
Potatoes are an amazing vegetable to grow with children because you don’t need a big space. Potatoes will happily grow in planter bags, pots or containers! Plus, nearly all kids like eating potatoes since they are versatile to cook with. As you start with a seed potato, it’s a little bit like a science experiment, which is lots of fun. Once the seed potatoes have ‘eyes’, you can plant them in a deep bucket or potato bag. Every time the plants reach the surface, cover with more soil. Potatoes are an easy vegetable for kids to learn how to take care of themselves. A good tip is to wait until all the flowers on the potato plant have nearly died back before harvesting your potatoes.

2. Cherry Tomatoes
 Cherry tomatoes are a great crop to grow with your ākonga. Usually high-yielding, producing a heap of little tomatoes that are sweet and delicious. They’ll happily grow in pots or containers and are perfect for snacking, salads, or vegetable kebabs.

3. Peas
Peas are also easy to grow in pots and grow quickly. They are fun to harvest as tamariki will love shelling them from their pea pods! Peas can be frozen or kept in the refrigerator for about five days which makes them perfect for getting the most out of your crop. Choose the sunniest spot in space to grow and plant seeds 2.5cm deep and 5cm apart. Cover and water.

4. Strawberries
Happy in hanging baskets, pots, or containers. Strawberries are a family favourite, and tamariki are bound to get excited growing something that they love to eat! Plant in winter through spring and watch the joy this plant brings as the strawberry buds start to grow!

BiteLab – Term 4’s lunch menu
You can visit their website for more information

WHAT TO DO IF YOU NEED HELP

Copyright © Randwick Park School 2023
Click here to unsubscribe.
Powered by KiwiSchools 4.0